The .htaccess is Apache configuration file.which is used to control many feature on Apache webserver.
Features are follows
- password protect directories
- enable server side includes
- block users by IP address among other things
- Create meaning full URL
- Change in php.ini settings
- Forbidding Files
- Checking access rights
- show different pages depending on the IP address:
- process Apache errors (403,404,405)
and many more.
The file name is exactly “dot” htaccess. It must be in the UNIX format (ASCII mode).